Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ted Haggard: A Morality Tale

Man, do I love Ted Haggard. He's already grown his backyard barn church into a 200-person congregation that's moved into a bigger space. I've followed him through his spectacular fall, his search for grace and forgiveness, and his new start. I would give just about anything to spend a day inside his head and see what he really thinks about God, redemption, love, and sexuality, and how he sees himself fitting into all of it.

I find him compellingly complex, endlessly charming, and totally enigmatic. Is he delusional? Is he a self-aware charlatan? Take these two pieces from the above linked Wall Street Journal interview:

"Tiger Woods needs to golf. Michael Vick needs to be playing football," Mr. Haggard said as his new congregation joined him and Gayle in their backyard for a post-worship picnic. Little kids, shrieking with joy, splashed in the pool. Men grilled burgers. Women set out chicken salad.

"Ted Haggard," Mr. Haggard said, "needs to be leading a church."

and

"I over-repented," he said. . . . He portrays his encounter with the prostitute as a massage that went awry and said he doesn't have same-sex attractions.

That's got to be a flat-out lie. I just cannot believe that he is that delusional. But then I also think he sincerely wants to lead his flock to the Truth. So...he tells himself this little lie is OK for the greater good?? I don't know! That's why I love him.

To me, Ted Haggard and his life are the real-world version of a fabulously written TV show. He could have easily been written by Matt Weiner (Mad Men) or Mark Olsen and Will Scheffer (Big Love). He's a compelling character with massive personality flaws that are not ever fully grasped or understood by either the character or the audience. And played out in the battle with himself are the narratives and questions of religion, politics, and humanity. Somebody definitely deserves an Emmy for this.

No comments: